Well, its Monday and its November. I cannot believe how quickly this year has been flying by and I cant believe that we are nearing the holiday season! Did everyone enjoy their extra hour of sleep this weekend? I know that I did!
Today starts two very busy weeks for me and dont be too jealous, Ill be spending both weeks in warmer temperatures! Ill be in Orlando all of this week for work, followed by a sunny vacation starting next week Sunday in California. Im ready for a much needed break!
So while youre sitting there thinking about me in warmer temperatures, I thought I would share a warming soup recipe today. This soup is a great twist on a classic Italian favorite of mine. I suggest using a rotisserie chicken or very carefully poaching chicken breasts, as you dont want the chicken to be too dry. Theres nothing worse than dry chicken! I also opted for large shavings of Parmesan cheese to top my soup but you can also try out melted mozzarella or provolone for a cheesier consistency. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 pound shredded chicken breast meat
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
- 6 ounces pasta, cooked
- 12 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot. Add in the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Pour the chicken broth, chicken, crushed tomatoes, oregano and tomato paste into the pot and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Before serving, add the cooked noodles and basil into the soup. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve with the Parmesan.